Old Court House

Old Court HouseNeil McKnight668 x 380 px. 61.4 Kb.

13
AA

Old Court House

The Albany Court House is a two-storey build­ing made from granite and red brick, with rounded front corners and con­volu­ted granite archways.

As the grandest and most ex­pens­ive country court house built dur­ing the gold boom, it featured on postcards and in prom­otions of the town for dec­ades.

De­signed by George Temp­le-Poole, the Albany Court was built by Charles Lay­ton on the site of the old state school. The found­ation stone was laid on 29th Dec­em­ber 1896 by F. H. Piesse MLA, with con­struc­tion estima­ted to take nine months. However, due to a scarc­ity of bricks it was not com­­ple­ted un­til 7th Febru­ary 1898 when it was opened the act­ing Pre­mier E.R. Wittenoom.

Orig­in­ally the build­ing con­tained court rooms and the police sta­tion. Later, offices of the Public Works De­part­ment. In 1908, a lock up and gaol keepers re­sid­ence was built at the rear. In 1978, a re­de­sign of the in­terior pro­vided a second courtroom on the ground floor and im­pro­ve­ments to the office areas. In 1983, the ceil­ing of the main court upstairs collapsed and needed re­plac­ing.

Today, the Albany Court House is one of several heritage buildings that are part of the Albany Justice Com­plex

The build­ing features a British coat of arms near the left arch­way, the arches themselves are con­volu­ted, arch­ing in­wards as well as over each door­way. In­terest­ing­ly, the front corners of the build­ing are rounded., while the roof is tiled in grey. The brick chimneys are topped with terracotta.

Today, the Albany Court House is one of several heritage buildings that are part of the Albany Justice Com­plex, com­­ple­ted in Febru­ary 2006, loca­ted at the corner Stirl­ing Terrace and Collie Street.

Article updated 29/10/2016.