Convoy Lookout

Convoy LookoutNeil McKnight688 x 380 px. 55.9 Kb.

13
AA

Convoy Lookout

Con­voy Look­out gives breathtak­ing views of King George Sound where ANZAC con­voys gathered before de­part­ing for World War 1.

In 1914, the 2 largest con­voys of ships tak­ing troops and horses to Europe and Gallipoli gathered in King George Sound, chosen for its large, sheltered harbour and ex­ist­ing port facili­ties.

Con­voy Look­out is a sheltered and ful­ly access­ible struct­ure placed at the summit of Mount Adelaide. In­terpret­ive signage shows the names, types and positions of the troopships and en­voys of each con­voy, as well as copies of histori­cal photos, to give a sense of the fleet laid out in the Sound.

Seat­ing and moun­ted binoculars are pro­vided to en­h­ance the view.

In­terpret­ive signage ... gives a sense of the fleet laid out in the Sound.

Adjac­ent to the look­out is the 15m flagpole and signal mast. The orig­inal, built as part of Princess Royal Fortress in 1893, was used to signal the 1914 con­voys leav­ing the sound. The signal mast was re­built in 1988 to its curr­ent form as part of the Forts Centen­ary re­stor­ation.

Con­voy Look­out was offici­ally opened on November 1, 2014. It is loca­ted in­side the grounds of Princess Royal Fortress, adjac­ent the National ANZAC Centre. It can be accessed free of charge.

Article updated 02/09/2015.