Albany Town Hall

Albany Town HallNeil McKnight688 x 380 px. 67.6 Kb.

13
AA

Albany Town Hall

Albany Town Hall, opened in 1888, is an im­port­ant civic build­ing de­f­in­ing the centre of Albany.

De­signed by Adelaide firm Henderson, Marriot and Co. the found­ation stone was laid in 1886. Con­struc­ted by con­tractors Harrison and Hamil­ton, the hall was offici­ally opened 18 months later on June 1, 1888, by Mayor W G Knight.

Between 1981 and 1986 the build­ing was con­ver­ted into a com­fort­able 310 seat theatre

It has since been the venue for many com­mun­ity events such at council meetings, theatre, musi­cal per­formances, cinema, dances and public gatherings of many types.

The two storey build­ing is of granite masonry with stucco dec­or­ation, features a four-faced clock tower and is topped by a domed roof and flagpole.

With de­tails such as corner pilasters and quoins, ellipti­cal de­tails to window openings, pedi­ments and dec­or­ative urns, the hall is a last­ing ex­am­ple of Victorian Free Classi­cal architect­ure.

The orig­inal de­sign had offices and council chambers on the ground floor, with a large public hall above.

Between 1981 and 1986 the build­ing was con­ver­ted into a com­fort­able 310 seat theatre with dress­ing rooms and stairs added in an ex­tension at the rear. Addi­tion­ally, the Lesser Hall was crea­ted from un­used office space and im­pro­ved ameni­ties and a lift were added. The lobby and front office space were also re­de­signed.

Today the Town Hall is used for ex­hibitions, seminars, workshops and meetings, but no longer for per­formances. This role is now filled by the re­c­ent­ly con­struc­ted, and much larger, Albany Ent­erta­in­ment Centre loca­ted on the foreshore.

Article updated 02/09/2015.